A Safer Chimney Should be Cleaned at Least Once a Year

Many people think that carbon monoxide only comes from gas appliances but the truth is that ANY fuel that burns creates carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide can be produced by any combustion appliance, including those that burn fossil fuels e.g. oil, wood and coal.  If you have one of these appliances you should make sure that it is serviced and maintained by a competent person and the chimney is regularly swept - Source; Health and Safety Executive

When fuels burn in an appliance, the fumes that are the by-products of combustion-including carbon monoxide - are released into the chimney. Removing these fumes from the living area is the main purpose of a chimney. In addition to carrying off toxic gases, chimneys also create the draught (flow of air) that provides the proper air and fuel mixture for efficient operation of the heating appliance. Unfortunately, many chimneys in daily use in homes throughout the country either are improperly sized or have conditions that make them unable to perform their intended function.

You should have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm in Every Room with an Appliance. Open fires and stoves are also classed as an appliance, just the same as a gas boiler.

For more details, please watch the following video;


Chimneys Servicing Gas Appliances Need to be Cleaned Annually

As well as making sure that all gas appliances are serviced annually it is also the landlord's responsibility to make sure that the flue ways are cleaned annually by a qualified chimney sweep.

To help stop the vast amount of people dying each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, the health and safety executive has documentation stating that all gas flues need to be swept annually by qualified chimney sweeps and that this responsibility cannot be passed on to the tenant.